Yan Xiaoyu 閆曉宇
School of Pharmacy
Faculty of Medicine
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 3943 5012
Fax:(852) 2603 5295
Xiaoyu Yan received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degree from Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, China. He also received a Master’s degree in pharmaceutical sciences from University of Saskatchewan, Canada. He obtained his PhD in 2012 from Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University at Buffalo (SUNY). After his PhD, he worked as a clinical pharmacometrician/pharmacologist at Janssen Research & Development (Johnson & Johnson) and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, USA.
During his time in pharmaceutical industry, Xiaoyu applied model informed drug development approaches to help the development team not only better understand disease and target, but also find the right dose for the right patient at right time. He has contributed to the global approval of several new therapies for diseases in various areas, such as oncology, immunology, cardiovascular, and neuroscience.
Xiaoyu joined the School of Pharmacy at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in September 2018. His research interests are focused on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of therapeutic biologics, and utilization of modeling and simulation approaches to optimize drug therapy and develop new treatment strategy.
***Xiaoyu’s group has openings for postdoctoral fellows, MPhil/PhD students, research assistants, visiting scholars. Candidates with a background in relative areas (biochemistry/molecular biology, pharmacology, cell biology, immunology, biochemical engineering, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, mathematics, statistics or other field related) are welcome to apply. Please contact Dr. Yan (email@example.com) for more information.***
Xiaoyu’s current research is focused on the development of new therapies for anemic patients demonstrating resistance to erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs). ESAs is a class of therapeutic proteins functioning as erythropoietin receptor (EPOR) agonists. They stimulate the production of red blood cells by binding to EPOR on erythroid cells in bone marrow, and stimulate their proliferation and differentiation.
ESAs has transformed the way of managing the anemia in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD), who may need blood transfusion otherwise. Recombinant human erythropoietin (rHuEPO) is the first approved ESA by US FDA in 1989 to treat anemia associated with CKD. However, up to 10% of anemic patients failed to show a satisfactory response to rHuEPO, and still require blood transfusion eventually. This phenomenon was named EPO resistance. The EPO resistance is also associated with increased risk of death or cardiovascular events.
Xiaoyu’s previous work suggested the rHuEPO treatment can induce erythroid precursor pool depletion, which may contribute to EPO resistance. Accordingly, his current work is to further the understanding role of precursor depletion in EPO resistance, and look for new therapeutic strategy that may alleviate rHuEPO induced precursor depletion. This work may provide new treatment option for anemic patients showing EPO resistance, and reduce their transfusion burden.
- MEDF1021 Faculty Package: Public Health & Healthcare Ethics
- MEDF1031 Faculty Package: Communication Skills
- PHAR1004 Personal Development in Pharmacy
- PHAR2220 Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- PHAR2313 Pharmaceutical Product Development and Manufacturing
- PHAR3420 Pharmacogenomics and Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- PHAR4401 Industrial Pharmacy Clerkship : Multi-national Company
- PHAR4911 Research Project I
- PHAR5130 Overview of Drug Development
- GENA1113 General Education
(* Corresponding author)
- Zhang L, Sun H,Liu Y, Lai X, Gong Y, Liu X, Li Y, Yang H, Zhang EY, Yan X*. Semi-mechanistic Population Pharmacokinetics Analysis Reveals Distinct CYP2C19 Dependency in the Bioactivation of Vicagrel and Clopidogrel to Active Metabolite M15-2. Eur J Pharm Sci, 2022 Jul 20;177:106264. doi: 10.1016/j.ejps.2022.106264.
- Zou H, Xu P, Wong RSM, Yan X*. A Novel Combination Therapy of Erythropoietin and Thrombopoietin to Treat Erythropoietin-Resistance anemia. Pharm Res 2022 Jun 3. doi: 10.1007/s11095-022-03304-z.
- Xu P, Wong RSM, Krzyzanski W, Yan X*. Dynamics of Erythroferrone Response to Erythropoietin in Rats. Front Pharmacol 2022 Apr 20;13:876573. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2022.876573.
- Fan X, Krzyzanski W, Wong RSM, Yan X*. Fate determination role of erythropoietin and romiplostim in the lineage commitment of hematopoietic progenitors. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2022 Apr 30. doi: 10.1124/jpet.122.001130.
- Zhang Y, Wo SK, Leng W, Gao F, Yan X, Zuo Z. Population pharmacokinetics and IVIVC for mesalazine enteric-coated tablets. J Control Release 2022 Apr 28;346:275-288. doi: 10.1016/j.jconrel.2022.04.024.
- Zou H, Zhang Y, Zhong D, Jiang Y, Liu F, Zho Q, Zuo Z, Zhang Y*, Yan X*. Effect of autoinduction and food on the pharmacokinetics of furmonertinib and its active metabolite characterized by a population pharmacokinetic model. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2021 Nov 17. doi: 10.1038/s41401-021-00798-y.
- Yan X, Bauer R, Koch G, Schropp J, Perez Ruixo JJ, Krzyzanski W. Delay differential equations based models in NONMEM. J Pharmacokinet Pharmacodyn 2021 Dec;48(6):763-802. doi: 10.1007/s10928-021-09770-z
- Yan X, Tse AHW, Lee A, Zhang L, Yang M, Zuo Z, Joynt GM. Protein Binding and Population Pharmacokinetics of Dexmedetomidine after Prolonged Infusions in Adult Critically Ill Patients. Clin Ther. 2021 Jul 22;S0149-2918
- Zou H, Banerjee P, Leung SSY, Yan X*. Application of Pharmacokinetic-Pharmacodynamic Modeling in Drug Delivery: Development and Challenges. Front. Pharmacol., 2020 Jul 3;11:997. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2020.00997.
- Yan X*, Xu SX*, Weisel KC, et al. Early M-protein Dynamics Predicts Progression-Free Survival in Patients With Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma. Clin Transl Sci. 2020 Nov;13(6):1345-1354
- Yan X*, Ruixo JJP, Krzyzanski W. Dose Correction for a Michaelis-Menten Approximation of a Target-Mediated Drug Disposition Model with a Multiple Intravenous Dosing Regimens. AAPS J. 2020 Jan 16;22(2):30
- Janssen R&D, Innovation Leadership Awards, 2016
- Janssen R&D, Innovation Leadership Awards, 2015
- Janssen R&D, Innovation Leadership Awards, 2014
- McKeen Cattell Memorial Award, American College of Clinical Pharmacology (ACCP) Recognition Award, Washington, DC 2013
- American Society for Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics (ASCPT) Presidential Trainee Award, ASCPT Annual Meeting, Indianapolis, IN 2013
- Graduate Student Symposium Award PPDM/CPTR, American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS) Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, 2011
- Travel Award by AAPS Executive Council, AAPS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 2010
- Pfizer Canada Centennial Pharmacy Research Award, Saskatoon, Canada 2006
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
- American College of Clinical Pharmacology
- International Society of Pharmacometrics (ISoP)
- American Society Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics