ZUO Zhong, Joan 左中
Director and Professor
School of Pharmacy
Faculty of Medicine
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 3943 6862
Fax:(852) 2603 5295
Professor Joan Zuo is the Director and Professor of the School of Pharmacy at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. She holds a B. Sc. and a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences and has had over 20 years’ experience in the biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics fields. Since she joined the School of Pharmacy at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in Jan 2000, Prof. Zuo has secured over 10 million continuous supports from various grant agencies such as University Grant Council, Innovation Technology Foundation, Food and Health Bureau, Hospital Authority in Hong Kong SAR as PI to support her series investigations on bioactive herbal components. The mechanistic findings on the absorption and metabolism of these components have been applied to areas such as in vitro and in vivo quality control of herbal products, improvement in delivery of herbal components in vivo, elucidation or even prediction of potential herb/herb or herb/drug interactions in vivo. Prof. Zuo’s research findings in the above fields have generated over 300 original research and conference papers and patents of USA, China, Hong Kong and Malaysia.
In Hong Kong, Prof. Zuo is serving in the Pharmacy & Poison’s Board, Pharmacy Internship Training Committee, Pharmacovigilance Committee, TCM Research and Development Committee and Proprietary Traditional Chinese Medicine Registration Committee at the government of Hong Kong Special Administration Region, She is currently the Council member of the Open University of Hong Kong and Expert Panel of the Hong Kong Science & Technology Parks Corporation.
Internationally, Prof. Zuo has served as nomination committee member for International Society of Xenobiotics (ISSX) and is currently the regional editor of European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and editorial board member for Biopharmaceutics and Drug Dispositions, Xenobiotica, Chinese Medicine. She is also grant reviewer for National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) of Hong Kong, Macau Science and Technology Development Fund (FDCT), and as journal reviewer for more than 50 international peer reviewed journals.
- Biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics, pharmaceutical analysis, drug metabolisms in gut and drug delivery technology;
- Absorption, pharmacokinetics and formulation study of the active components in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) and herbal medicine;
- Herb-drug interactions investigations using preclinical, clinical and systematic reviews approaches;
- Biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics, herb-drug interactions
Recent Research Grants
(* as PI)
- * Development of a Tablet-in-tablet Formulation System in Hong Kong for Treatment of Peptic Ulcer. Sponsored by Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) – Partnership Research Programme during the period of 2020-04-01 to 2022-03-31 for the sum of HKD 3,167,844
- * Carboxylesterase-mediated herb–drug interactions: impact of flavones on pro-drugs whose activation is mediated by carboxylesterase. Sponsored by Research Grant Council (RGC) – General Research Fund (GRF) during the period 2020-01-01 to 2021-12-31 for the sum of HKD 884,445
- * Development of Chinese Medicine-Drug Interaction Database with the Aid of Artificial Intelligence (Phase I). Sponsored by Innovation and Technology Commission (ITC) – Innovation and Technology Suport Programme (ITSP) during the period 2019-03-31 to 2021-03-30 for the sum of HKD 1,466,790
- * Determination of No-observed-adverse-effect-level of Fuzi for Its Clinical Safe and Effective Use. Sponsored by Food and Health Bureau (FHB) – Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) during the period 2018-09-20 to 2020-09-19 for the sum of HKD 1,199,316
- *Development of an Optimization Platform for Bioequivalent Extended Release Dosage Forms. Sponsored by Innovation and Technology Fund during the period 2017-02 to 2019-01 for the sum of HKD 1,239,249
- *Impact of the Chinese herbal medicines on the combination therapy with clopidogrel and aspirin: pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics outcomes and related mechanisms in rats. Sponsored by Food and Health Bureau – Health and Medical Research Fund during the period 2015-07-20 to 2017-07-19 for the sum of HKD 909,000
- *Evaluation of Potential Herb-drug Interactions between Oseltamivir and Commonly Used Anti-influenza Chinese Medicinal Herbs sponsored by Food and Health Bureau – Health and Medical Research Fund during the period 2014-03-03 to 2016-03-02 for the sum of HKD 982,010.00
- * CNS Uptake of Radix Scutellariae Flavones and Relationships with its Anxiolytic Effects (CU13798) sponsored by Research Grants Council – General Research Fund during the period 2014-01-01 to 2015-12-31 for the sum of HKD 562,921.00
- * Is It Safe to Take Danshen-Gegen Product with Warfarin and Aspirin? A Pilot Study in Human Subject (MD12756) sponsored by Food and Health Bureau – Health and Medical Research Fund during the period 2013-06-01 to 2015-12-31 for the sum of HKD 985,982.00
- Chinese Medicine to Overcome Resistant Chemotherapy: Comparison of the Effects of Tripterygium wilfordii with Other Selected Herbal Extracts in Cell Models of Resistant Lung, Pancreatic and Prostate Cancers (MD12893) sponsored by Macau University of Science and Technology Foundation during the period 2013-01-09 to 2015-08-31 for the sum of HKD 342,904.00
- Refining the bioactivity of P42, a hit therapeutic peptide, and developing a combined therapeutic peptide approach for treating Huntington’s Disease. (BL14398) sponsored by ANR/RGC Joint Research Scheme during the period 2015-04-01 to 2019-03-31 for the sum of HKD 2,540,083.00
- Orally-dissolving Films for Overcoming Biopharmaceutic Challenges of Drug Molecules (MD14612) sponsored by Innovation & Technology Commission-Innovation and Technology Support Programme during the period 2015-03-01 to 2016-02-29 for the sum of HKD 963,700.00
- Clinical Assessment of a Topical Application Containing Radix Rubiae for Plaque-Type Psoriasis – A Randomized, Double-blind, Vehicle-controlled and Left-Right Comparison Pilot Study (MD14926) sponsored by Food and Health Bureau – Health and Medical Research Fund during the period 2015-02-01 to 2016-07-31 for the sum of HKD 937,274.00
- Targeting RNA and Protein Toxicities of Polyglutamine Diseases Using Peptidylic Inhibitors (BL14370) sponsored by Vice-Chancellor’s One-off Discretionary Fund during the period 2015-01-01 to 2019-01-31 for the sum of HKD 2,500,000.00
- Oral Delivery of Poorly Soluble Traditional Chinese Medicine (MD13364) sponsored by CUHK Research Committee Funding (Direct Grants) during the period 2014-06-30 to 2015-06-29 for the sum of HKD 80,000.00
- Targeting RNA and Protein Toxicities of Polyglutamine Diseases Using Peptidylic Inhibitors (BL13801) sponsored by RGC – Collaborative Research Fund (CRF) during the period 2014-06-01 to 2017-05-31 for the sum of HKD 7,044,220.00
- Targeting RNA and Protein Toxicities of Polyglutamine Diseases Using Peptidylic Inhibitors (BL13976) sponsored by Research Committee Group Research Scheme during the period 2014-06-01 to 2017-05-31 for the sum of HKD 818,110.00
Bachelor of Pharmacy Programme
- PHAR2520 Fundamentals of Herbal Medicines
- PHAR2213 Pharmaceutical Product Development & Manufacturing
- PHAR3510 Complementary and Alternative Medicine
MPhil & PhD in Pharmacy
- PHAR5130 Overview of Drug Development
(* Corresponding Author)
- Wang RM, Wang SY, Chan S, Wang YC, Zhang YF, Zuo Z, Chan GCF, Li HY, Sun HZ (2020). Bismuth porphyrin antagonizes cisplatin- induced nephrotoxicity via unexpected metallothionein independent mechanisms. iScience 23(5): 101054
- Zhang YF, Yang MB, Ho NJ, Mok RY, Zhang Z, Ge BK, Leung PC, Fung KP, Lau BSC, Lee HLV, Wong SMR, Zuo Z* (2020). Is it safe to take Radix Salvia Miltiorrhiza – Radix Pueraria Lobate Product with Warfarin and Aspirin? A pilot study in healthy human subjects. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 262: 113151.
- Zhao JJ, Cheng SW, Ng WL, Zhang YF, Shek TL, Ren TJ, Yan XY, Li K, Wang JX, Zuo Z* (2020). Identification of the in vivo relevant dissolution media for the three active components in EGb 761 tablet for better correlation with their pharmacokinetics in healthy subjects. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 154: 105515.
- Zhao JJ, Ren, TJ, Yang MB, Zhang YF, Wang QW, Zuo Z* (2020) Reduced systemic exposure and brain uptake of donepezil in rats with scopolamine-induced cognitive impairment. Xenobiotica. DOI: 10.1080/00498254.2019.1643514
- Ren TJ, Xiao M, Yang MB, Zhao JJ, Zhang YF, Hu MY, Cheng Y, Xu H, Zhang CB, Yan XY, Zuo Z* (2019). Reduced systemic and brain exposure with inhibited liver metabolism of Carbamazepine after its long-term combination treatment with Piperine for Epilepsy control in rats. The AAPS Journal 21:90 DOI: 10.1208/s12248-019-0357-3.
- Ren TJ, Hu MY, Cheng Y, Shek TL, Xiao M, Ho NJ, Zhang CB, Leung SY, Zuo Z* (2019). Piperine-loaded nanoparticles with enhanced dissolution and oral bioavailability for epilepsy control. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 137:104988.
- Wang QW, Peng SH, Hu Y, Wong CH, Kwan KM, Chan EHY, Zuo Z* (2019). Efficient brain uptake and distribution of an expanded CAG RNA inhibitor DB213 via intranasal administration. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 127: 240-251.
- Qi YY, Chan ST, Lin L, Shek TL, Tsang TF, Zhang YF, Ip M, Chan PKS, Blanchard N, Hanquet G, Zuo Z, Yang X, Ma C (2019) Nusbiarylins, a new class of antimicrobial agents: Rational design of bacterial transcription inhibitors targeting the interaction between the NusB and NusE proteins. Bioorganic Chemistry 92:103203.
- Yang MB, Zhang Q, Wang QW, Sørensen KK, Boesen JT, Ma SY, Jensen K, Kwan KM, Ngo JCK, Chan HYE, Zuo Z* (2018) Brain-targeting delivery of two Peptidylic inhibitors for their combination therapy in transgenic Polyglutamine disease mice via intranasal administration. Molecular Pharm vol.15, 5781-5792.
- Qian S, He LS, Wang QW, Wong EYC, Mak M, Ho CY, Han YF, Zuo Z* (2018) Intranasal delivery of a novel acetylcholinesterase inhibitor HLS-3 for treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Life Sciences 207: 428-435.
- Wang QW, Zhang YF, Wong CH, Chan HYE, Zuo Z* (2018) Demonstration of direct Nose-to-Brain transport of unbound HIV-1 replication inhibitor DB213 via intranasal administration by pharmacokinetic modeling. The AAPS Journal vol.20, 23 pgs.
- Li CR, Wang ZJ, Wang Q, Ho RLKY, Huang Y, Chow MSS, Lam CWK, Zuo Z* (2018) Enhanced anti-tumor efficacy and mechanisms associated with Docetaxel-piperine combination- in vitro and in vivo investigation using a Taxane resistant prostate cancer model. Oncotarget vol.9 no.3, 3338-3352.
- Fong SYK, Li CR, Ho YC, Li R, Wang Q, Wong YC, Xue H, Zuo Z* (2017) Brain uptake of bioactive flavones in scutellariae radix and its relationship to Anxiolytic effect in mice. Molecular Pharmaceutics vol.14 no.9, 2908-2916.
- Hu Miao, Lee HK, To KKW, Fok SP, Wo SK, Ho CS, Wong CK, Zuo Z, Chan TYK, Chan JCN, Tomlinson B (2016) Telmisartan increases systemic exposure to Rosuvastatin after single and multiple doses, and in vitro studies show Telmisartan inhibits ABCG2-mediated transport of Rosuvastatin. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology vol.72 no.12, 1471-1478.
- Lyu CM, Zhang YF, Zhou WB, Zhang S, Kou F, Wei H, Zhang N, Zuo Z* (2016) Gender-dependent pharmacokinetics of Veratramine in rats: In Vivo and In Vitro evidence. The AAPS Journal 18(2):432-444.
- Zhang Z, Ge BK, Zhou LM, Lam TN, Zuo Z* (2015) Induction of liver cytochrome P450s by Danshen-Gegen formula is the leading cause for its pharmacokinetic interactions with warfarin. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 154(3): 672-686.
- Teacher of the Year Award 2003/2004, School of Pharmacy, CUHK
- Chow MSS, Wang YF, Zuo Z. “Method of enhancing absorptions of transmucosal administration formulations”, USA Patent No. US 7,329,416 B2, granted on Feb. 12, 2008; Chinese Patent No. 200580030149.3, granted March 24, 2010; Hong Kong Patent No. HK1107271, granted on May 31, 2010; Malaysian Patent No. MY-141878-A, granted on July 16, 2010.
- Chow MSS, Wang YF, Zuo Z. “Method of enhancing absorptions of transmucosal administration formulations” continuation-in-part, USA Patent No. US 8,012,503 B2, granted on Sept. 6, 2011
- Member, Pharmacy & Poisons Board of Hong Kong, Department of Health, HKSAR Government
- Chair of Pharmacy Internship Training Committee, Pharmacy & Poisons Board of Hong Kong
- Member, Expert Advisory Group on Bioavailability and Bioequivalence Studies, Pharmacy & Poisons Board of Hong Kong
- Member, Pharmacovigilance Advisory Body, Drug Office, Department of Health, HKSAR Government
- Member, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Research and Development Committee, Innovation and Technology Bureau, HKSAR Government
- Member, Proprietary Traditional Chinese Medicine Registration Committee, Chinese Medicine Council of Hong Kong
- Member, Accreditation Advisory Board (AAB) Working Party on Biological and Chemical testing, Hong Kong Accreditation Service
- Council member, The Open University of Hong Kong
- Expert Panel, The Hong Kong Science & Technology Parks Corporation
- External Member, Medical Services Committee, Yan Oi Tong
- Editorial Board Member, Biopharmaceutics and Drug Dispositions, Xenobiotica, Chinese Medicine, and European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Regional Editor)
- Journal Reviewer for over 50 international peer-reviewed journal including Advanced Drug Delivery Review, Molecular Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Research, Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, etc.
- Grant Reviewer for NSFC, HMRF, Macau FDCT, Macau University, etc.